Friday, December 7, 2012

Allegiance


On November 15, I was hoisting the flags outside of our building as I normally do.  Pretty much the same method every day – raise the American flag first and then the Indiana flag unless the Browns win and this flag is raised as well. Sadly, I do not get to raise the latter of these flags more often.  Anyway, it’s pretty much a routine without a whole bunch of thought. That morning was different.  That morning took the mundane out of what I was doing.  What happened that morning put a deeper meaning into what I was doing.  That morning gave me new hope.  That morning made me proud to be to a citizen.  What happened that morning choked me up and yes, I am not embarrassed to write that what happened that morning left tears running down my face.  As I was raising the American flag, I looked out across the parking lot to see a man jump out of his truck, stand at attention and salute our flag until it was at the top of the flagpole.  No contrived ceremony, just an outstanding witness by a serviceman of allegiance to the principles of our country.  It is just what I needed.  To many, we are losing our moral compass on which this great nation was founded.  In a lot of ways, I also believe that is true and, in time, that will haunt us.  As I watched this man, I thought about the countless numbers of men and women who have fought so valiantly for the freedoms that we all enjoy; even those freedoms that include the desecration of the very flag that we pledge allegiance to every day at school and the same one that this man stood at attention to. I thought about those close to me that have given so much for our freedoms knowing full well that they will never get that time back.  On that morning, a man I have never met changed my perspective through his allegiance. 

Allegiance is about staying true to the purpose. So, what is the purpose in what we do?  A Lambda Chi Alpha brother gave a speech on purpose last year. Jerre Stead said this:  “Purpose is not so much a matter of what you do…but what you are certain you can be.  Purpose is the unconditional, limitless realm in your life that cannot be diminished by anything that happens.  You have always known there is a purpose…essential to who you are.  Give it to life, again and again, for you’ll never tire of seeing it shine.”  Again, what is the purpose in what we do?  We are teachers. This is a noble profession.   In this, we challenge kids to reach higher levels.  We expect kids to reach farther than they currently are.  We pass along our love for a subject with them.  We mold them.  We try to build them into someone with integrity and character. We take advantage of teachable moments.   We provide living examples for them.  We make a personal investment into them.  When times do not go as planned, do not lose heart.  Stay true to your purpose.  We are not making widgets here.  We are making people.  Stay true to your purpose.  Don’t let anyone knock you off of that course.  Be one with allegiance to your purpose.


The Browns play along the shores of Lake Erie against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.  I cannot believe that I am thinking three in a row!  Don’t wake me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A comment was added to your blog at www.theprincipaloutlook.com! Please take a second to approve it to ensure that is appropriate for your intended audience.