Friday, November 9, 2012

A Kid's Perspective

Last week, a seventh grader asked me to sit by her during lunch so that she could share with me what she had written about school this year.  Here it is, minus the bar graphs that she included, starting with “Dear Mr. Vassar”:

“Last year my grades were not very good.  For example, in Math I had a C on every report card.  This year my grades have changed a lot for many reasons.  I think that teachers have a lot to do with your grade.  Don’t misunderstand what I am saying.  We kids are also a HUGE part of our grades, but the teachers also play a big role.  It seems like the teachers are enthusiastic about their class and what they are teaching.  This seems to get the kids attention and seems to make the kids care a little more about what they are learning.  My teachers this year really make the class fun and exciting and we are excited about what they taught.  So, if other teachers could make their classes more interesting, I think it would help the other kids get better grades too.  If this works for other kids, that means higher grades and better ISTEP scores. Last year as a school we did not make our goal of 90%. I think we can accomplish that if the teachers make their classes exciting and enjoyable.  I think the kids will pay more attention and learn more.  Therefore, when ISTEP comes around, we will be ready!  Every once in a while, the teacher will hand out an assignment and everyone will go, “Yes! An easy assignment!”  The only reason it is easy is because the teacher made it fun and interesting. If the classes are more interesting and exciting there will be more of those so called “easy assignments” and with easy assignments come better grades, and with better grades comes smarter people and with smarter people comes a smarter community.  That is the goal, is it not?”

Wow!  That is one of our students pouring her heart out.  It’s the stuff I have been preaching since day one.  The easiest way to get kids excited about learning is for the teacher to be excited about it.  Making concepts relevant is essential if you want to kids to get it.  One of my dreams is to have to stop kids who are running in the hall during passing period because they cannot wait to get to their class.  You should want that to be your classroom.  Can learning be fun?  That is up to you.  Can teaching be relevant?  That too is for you to tackle.  I have a lot of letters and cards from kids in my office.  This letter from Caroline made my day.  I hope it made yours.  Advice doesn’t always have to come from those in authority; sometimes, if you listen really well, it comes from the very ones you are trying to reach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A comment was added to your blog at www.theprincipaloutlook.com! Please take a second to approve it to ensure that is appropriate for your intended audience.